Podcast Ep. 33: Website Series - The importance of maintaining a fresh website
In this week's episode of the Brand Ballers Podcast, Mike and I continue our website series and talk about the importance of maintaining a fresh website. This is the last in this series and we'll be wrapping it up next week by talking about what we have learned over these last 5 episodes.
The importance of maintaining a fresh website
- Tells people the lights are on, that you’re still in business; doesn’t feel “right” or “good” for a visitor if your website isn’t kept up to date; helps maintain brand congruency, people may expect you to be a certain way but they may lose trust in you if your website doesn’t match their expectations; ie. if your copyright date isn’t current, what does that say about your business and your brand?
- Ensures a good user experience, especially with a lot of traffic coming from mobile devices; an outdated website that’s not responsive (mobile friendly) makes it difficult for people to see what you’re offering; can affect your brand because it may seem hard to work with you; if hard to navigate or find information (too many subcategories), people might give up and look elsewhere.
- For new customers/clients, good first impression; make it easy for people to refer you to others; shows that you, your business and your brand are “with it,” you’re staying current, which can again be interpreted that your brand/business are also modern and fresh.
Actionable steps to take away from podcast
- Make sure all the information on your website is up-to-date; copyright, about page, contact information; add new content to your blog if your content hasn’t been updated; or use a plugin or some way to not include the date on your blog posts; update photos/graphics; anything that lets people know that you’re still in business and ready to do business.
- Ensure your site is responsive; may need to completely update your site but it’s worth it because so much traffic comes from mobile devices; also, responsive sites already have a modern design; clean up your navigation/categories, make it easy for people to find stuff.
- Consider updating website design, maybe thinking about what Mike discussed in last week’s episode on user experience to create a good first impression and make it easy for your customers/clients to refer you; also, it’ll make you feel proud to tell people to visit your website.
Thanks for listening! If you’d like us to touch upon a particular topic on an upcoming podcast, send us a message.
Have a great day!